How to run SuperWebSocket in VS 2008

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I am using (windows XP SP3, .NET 4.0) Visual Studio 2008 and I dont know how to run SuperWebScoket project in VS2008, because the code downloaded using VS2010.  I have few questions here:

1. Is it possible to run SuperWebSocket in VS2008 ?

2. Is there any detailed procedure to create SuperWebScoket project in VS2008 or below versions.

3. Exact System requirements for SuperWebScoket

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM
See my comments below.

Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:35 PM
Subject: How to run SuperWebSocket in VS 2008 [SuperWebSocket:277404]

I am using (windows XP SP3, .NET 4.0) Visual Studio 2008 and I dont know how to run SuperWebScoket project in VS2008, because the code downloaded using VS2010. I have few questions here:

1. Is it possible to run SuperWebSocket in VS2008 ?

Yes

2. Is there any detailed procedure to create SuperWebScoket project in VS2008 or below versions.

It does support VS2008 but doesn't support VS2010.

1) changed the VS version to VS2008's version in SuperWebSocket.Net35.sln by notpad

2) update all corresponding projects of .NET 3.5 files by notpad like below:

ToolVersion="4.0" => ToolVersion="3.5"

3. Exact System requirements for SuperWebScoket

Not exact.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:42 AM

The source code I have downloaded is using VS 2010, but in your reply you have mentioned as "It does support VS2008 but doesn't support VS2010"

1) changed the VS version to VS2008's version in SuperWebSocket.Net35.sln by notpad

I have changed the version from 11.00 to 10.00 and 2010 to 2008 in the file "SuperWebSocket.Net35.sln"

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00
# Visual Studio 2008

After I have loaded in to VS 2008, I am getting lot of errors like below:

The type or namespace name 'SuperSocket' could not be found

The type or namespace name 'StringCommandInfo' could not be found

The type or namespace name 'CommandReaderBase' could not be found

etc.,

Please let me know, what are the project reference I have to add to resolve the above erros

2) update all corresponding projects of .NET 3.5 files by notpad like below:

Please let me know, in exactly which file I have to change the ToolVersion="4.0" => ToolVersion="3.5"

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:50 AM

all projects files like *.Net35.csproj

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have modified as you said, please see below the clean & build output:

========== Clean: 8 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Build: 8 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

But, When I started to run the Application (Pressed F5) it shows the below Error message:

A project with an Output Type of Class library cannot be started directly.In order to debug this project, add an executable project to this solution which references the library project. Set the executable project as the startup project.

It means, this project is a "Class library" not an executable, Am I right? 

But I have found the "Main()" in the file "D:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\Program.cs", Please let me know, how to run the SuperWebSocket and test its features.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM

SuperWebSocket's project type is library, you cannot debug it directly.

You should take a look at Samples\SuperWebSocketWeb.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Actually I have used the Solution file "SuperWebSocket.NET35.sln".

In your project folder one more solution "SuperWebSocket.sln" file is there, What is this ? This is for execute the Smaples applications?

When I open the solution file "SuperWebSocket.sln", VS 2008 gives the below error:

The project file "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\Client\Client.Silverlight.csproj" cannot be opend.

This project type is not supported by this installation.

In the file "Client.Silverlight.csproj", I have modified to 'ToolsVersion="3.5"', but still the error comes, then I have modified "<TargetFrameworkVersion>v3.5</TargetFrameworkVersion>", but still error comes.

Please help me, which solution file I have to use ? In case if I have to use "SuperWebSocket.sln" then how the solve the above error?

Thank you very much for your continuous support. I am new to .NET Framework, please help me to test SuperWebSocket.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2011 at 7:22 AM

SuperWebSocket.sln is for .NET 4.0.

It is a Silverlight project which require Silverlight 4.0 SDK.

For .NET 3.5, you should use SuperWebSocket.NET35.sln, there is a sample in the solution named SuperWebSocketWeb.Net35.

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Thank you very much, now I can able to run your sample Chat application.

In Solution Explorer, "Samples -> SuperWebSocket.NET35" right click select the option "Set as Startup Project" and select the option "Debug -> Start new instance" which is opened a web page "http://localhost:7342/" and I have entered my Name in the text box and pressed "Start Chat" button, thats all.I have successfully ran the SuperWebSocket.

WOW THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO YOU (kerryjiang). I am very happy.

I will be back, if I have any more doubts.

Thank you once again.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I want to know the procedure to run my sample HTML file using SuperWebSocket.

How to run SuperWebSocket server by standalone ?

Where to copy my web client files to run from SuperWebSocket Server?

Sorry, I don't know ASP.NET. Please help me.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM

You should check out SuperWebSocketService

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:33 AM

First I have tried to run the EXE file "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug\SuperWebSocket.Service.exe" which gives an error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [484]."

Next I have tried to run from VS 2008 by setting "SuperWebSocketService.NET35" as startup project and select the option "Debug-> Start new instance" this is also gives below errors:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.

1. The application you are trying to debug uses a version of the Microsoft .NET Framework that is not supported by the debugger.

2. The debugger has made an incorrect assumption about the Microsoft .NET Framework version your application is going to use. 

3. The Microsoft .NET Framework version specified by you for debugging is incorrect.

I dont know .NET Framework and ASP.NET, I have worked so far on Java server and JavaScript web client. 

So could you please provide a detailed step to run "SuperWebSocket.Service.exe" in standalone way and please let me know, where I have to copy my web client (HTML) files.

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Please run RunServer.bat to start it.

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:33:27 -0700
Subject: Re: How to run SuperWebSocket in VS 2008 [SuperWebSocket:277404]

First I have tried to run the EXE file "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug\SuperWebSocket.Service.exe" which gives an error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [484]."
Next I have tried to run from VS 2008 by setting "SuperWebSocketService.NET35" as startup project and select the option "Debug-> Start new instance" this is also gives below errors:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.
1. The application you are trying to debug uses a version of the Microsoft .NET Framework that is not supported by the debugger.
2. The debugger has made an incorrect assumption about the Microsoft .NET Framework version your application is going to use.
3. The Microsoft .NET Framework version specified by you for debugging is incorrect.

I dont know .NET Framework and ASP.NET, I have worked so far on Java server and JavaScript web client.
So could you please provide a detailed step to run "SuperWebSocket.Service.exe" in standalone way and please let me know, where I have to copy my web client (HTML) files.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SuperWebSocket@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SuperWebSocket@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Oct 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM

When I run "RunServer.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\" I have received the error "'SuperWebSocket.Service.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Next I run  "RunServer.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug", I have received the error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [2596]"

I have also run "InstallService.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug", I have received the error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [2596]"

Please help me, what to do next?

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Although there is no documentation for SuperWebSocket, but I think it is helpfull to read the document of SuperSocket:
http://supersocket.codeplex.com/documentation
http://supersocket.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=let%20your%20appserver%20run

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:30:37 -0700
Subject: Re: How to run SuperWebSocket in VS 2008 [SuperWebSocket:277404]

When I run "RunServer.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\" I have received the error "'SuperWebSocket.Service.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Next I run "RunServer.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug", I have received the error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [2596]"
I have also run "InstallService.bat" from "G:\SuperWebSocket(Drop 8)\SuperWebSocketService\bin\Debug", I have received the error "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in SuperWebSocket.Service.exe [2596]"
Please help me, what to do next?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SuperWebSocket@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SuperWebSocket@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com