FYI - IE9 and WebSockets

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Microsoft has a demonstration implementation:

http://html5labs.interoperabilitybridges.com/

And Microsoft talks at length about the IE9 implementation here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/12/20/html5-site-ready-and-experimental.aspx

From the Microsoft article:

"The question is how to balance the implementation of these under construction technologies (in order to resolve under construction issues) with the needs of developers (who don’t like re-writing their code over and over to get new capabilities) and the needs of consumers (who expect sites and browsers to just work). Today, iPhone and iPad 4.2 support WebSockets. Firefox and Opera have recently disabled their implementations because of (among other things) the security and compatibility concerns."

Note: that might make it kind of a bad idea to use this, since that combination of browsers might represent a pretty good chunk of the users...  Not sure.  I'm just experimenting with it anyway, so it's not a big concern for me, but if you were doing something "real" with this you might want to take that into account.

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Thank you very much, sir!

The project "SuperWebSocket" is a sample project to guide the users of SuperSocket how to implement a custom protocol, and on the other hand it is also a .net server side implementation of WebSocket protocol. Because the WebSocket protocol is still being standardized, so SuperWebSocket also will be improved following the WebSocket's developing. When the WebSocket become a real standard protocol in fact, I want to make SuperWebSocket to be a very nice .net implementation which is open source, cross platform and not from MS.

Thanks for your remind again,

Kerry Jiang

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Hi

Please, is posible that "SuperWebSocket" run in IE 9? always said that "Your browser cannot support WebSocket!".

My problem is in this line

messageBoard.append("* Connecting to server ..<br/>");            // create a new websocket and connect            ws = new window[support]('ws://<%= Request.Url.Host %>:<%= WebSocketPort %>/sample');

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

IE9 doesn't support WebSocket, but you can use flash or slverlight as proxy.