Installation into Web App

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I am trying to get SuperWebSockets to run in my web app. Here is how I am doing it, let me know if you think this is a good idea.

1. Compile SuperWebSockets in release mode.
  2. Copy the following dlls to the bin folder of my project...
    1. All SuperSocket dlls
    2. The SuperWebSocket dll
    3. THe Log4Net dll
  3. Add references to all dlls in my project.
  4. Copy web configuration values over to my web.config.
  5. Copy methods and properties from Global.asax to get things running.

I have gotten this far and the project builds but the SocketServerManager.Initialize method is returning false with the web.config values passed to it. I will do some more experimenting today but let me know if you have any thoughts or other input.

Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I don't like the method you reference external libraries, you should create a folder named "Reference" or "Library" to keep all libraries over there and then reference the dll files you require from that folder.

Other things should be ok.

BTW, you'd better to take a look at the samples about command assemblies, json sub commands from Samples folder in the source code.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Thank you for the reccomendations!

I have looked into the JSONCommandAssembly. It looks like I can add different types of JSON messages for SuperWebSocket to accept using this. Correct me if I am wrong here but it seems like I will want to compile several types of JSON messages into a single "Command Assembly" that will get registered with SuperWebSocket once it starts up.

This seems nice becuase then I can maintain my special types without needing to rebuild SuperWebSockets.

Is this correct?

What I do not understand yet is how SuperWebSockets will know what type of message is being sent at it yet. Is there an example on how to submit data to the server from the client using a CommandAssembly?

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM

You never need to rebuild SuperWebSocket, reference it as external library.