Recommended Azure settings?

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Hi - we are making great progress establishing an Azure hosted sokcet server. Thanks for all your efforts this far.

I did have a query for Kerry and the wider audience. Have you managed to ascertain what the best configuration settings are to maintain sessions using Azure? We are using the following

KeepAliveIntervalSeconds - 60
KeepAliveTimeSeconds - 600

We are seeing sessions close and the server logs the reason - ClientClosing (we are using WebSockets4Net client - latest source).

I'm not sure I fully appreciate the difference between the server KeepAlive settings - can you clarify. We hope to be able to maintain the open channel indefinitely.

Thanks again.

Alex

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 2:19 PM

How long will the connection be kept if there is no activity? I also don't have more ideas about how to keep session longer. It seems that there are some strange strategies when Windows Azure manages connections not on 80. But it's the time to implement sending Ping in one interval, it should be helpful to keep session longer.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Hi Kerry, we would like the connection to stay open indefinitely - until the client closes the connection. We aren't able to have the client ping to keep alive - so we are relying on the server to keep the connection alive.

Could you explain what the settings KeepAliveIntervalSeconds and KeepAliveTimeSeconds actually do?

We are running on azure on port 80 and likely to move to 443 in the future.

Thanks